[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH

Patrick Lists freeswitch-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 14 04:03:09 MSK 2011

Craig,

Welcome to the FreeSWITCH community. Comments inline.

On 11/13/2011 05:46 PM, Craig Smith wrote:
> Some recent frustrations with Asterisk have me looking at FreeSWITCH,
> but it’s lack? of adoption leaves me wondering.

Lack of adoption? How do you come to that conclusion? FreeSWITCH may not
be as visible as Asterisk but it would not surprise me if in the ITSP
world FreeSWITCH handled vastly more minutes than Asterisk. Admittedly
FreeSWITCH is an excellent solution for an ITSP.

> Here are some questions I have as a long time Asterisk user, dCAP, and
> Astricon attendee.

To meet the FreeSWITCH developers and community visit ClueCon. For more
info check out: http://www.cluecon.com/

> Why hasn’t FreeSWITCH reached a critical mass?

Define critical mass. There are quite a few ITSPs offering phone
services which are powered by FreeSWITCH (amongst other things). You may
even be using one without knowing it.

> Is the XML configuration that scary?

XML is about as scary as HTML 0.1.

> What does Asterisk have that FreeSWITCH doesn’t?

Deadlocks :-)

> Does FreeSWITCH need better documentation and/or tutorials?

There is always room for improvement of the Wiki. The same goes for
writing tutorials.

> Is it git?

Yes, the SCM system used is git.
http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/

> Would a FreeSWITCH certification help?

Help what?

> I want to help the FreeSWITCH project, but I’m not developer or
> philanthropist , what can I do?

Write tutorials, update/improve the wiki. If you succeed in building a
succesfull business based on FreeSWITCH then you could give back e.g. by
funding bounties to be developed by the FreeSWITCH core developers.

Have fun setting up your first FreeSWITCH box. Afaik the FreeSWITCH core
developers use CentOS so you can safely use that but ubuntu or debian
should work fine too. It helps if you use git master because if you
think you have found a bug and report it, the developers will ask if you
were able to recreate it with git master. So you might as well be using
that in the first place. Here is how to get git master:

$ git clone git://git.freeswitch.org/freeswitch.git

To get started go here:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Main_Page

Asterisk to FreeSWITCH Rosetta Stone:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone

Highly recommended: buy the FreeSWITCH book
https://www.packtpub.com/freeswitch-1-0-6-build-robust-high-performance-telephony-systems/book

If you are interested in a GUI to manage a FreeSWITCH box check out:
http://www.fusionpbx.com/
http://www.2600hz.org/ (Blue.Box)

For a quick question the #freeswitch irc channel on irc.freenode.net is
an excellent place. There is also a weekly conference where various
things are discussed. The conference and topic(s) are announced on the
mailing list.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Patrick