[Freeswitch-users] Audio clipping in mod_conference

Roland Hänel roland at haenel.me
Thu Nov 3 12:22:07 MSK 2011

Hi,

During thorough testing of our conference solution which is based on
FreeSwitch / mod_conference, we noticed some 'audio clipping' during the
conference. Typically, if a conference member didn't have audio for some
time and then begins to speak, the first syllable will be clipped and
cannot be heard by the other conference participants.

We ruled out a number of possible causes, and finally discovered that the
energy level detection algorith seems to be the source of the problem.
Setting the energy level for all participants to "0" heals the problem (of
course now the noise might be higher since every participant's noise
contributes to the total noise), but this setting is not very useful since
the "talking detection" seems to rely on the same level, i.e. with energy
"0", all members are marked talking all the time (which effectively renders
the "talking" display useless).

Is there any chance to tune the energy level detection time (!), or to
de-couple talking detection an energy level detection in FreeSwitch?

Best regards,
Roland