[Freeswitch-users] ptime and voice/call quality problem

Michael Gende mgende at gendesign.com
Fri May 27 23:31:04 MSD 2011

Hey Folks,

Kind of strange issue here, tied to some other stuff I've posted about.
Anyway, does anyone know how to set ptime or where that is configured?

Please forgive if this is staring me in the face somewhere, I've not found
anything satisfactory just looking around. But, I am slow sometimes.

What's up?  We have an FS that has two incoming numbers. One of them, just
recently, started doing the following (from our VoIP ISP tech guy):

All calls that work (to the second number) network originates the call with
maxptime=20, we respond with ptime=20 and everything works fine.  The calls
that do not work (primary number) network originates the call with
maxptime=30, we respond with ptime=30 then immediately re-invite with
ptime=20.  I suspect somewhere in this re-invite either your switch or our
provider’s switch is getting confused and not sending or processing RTP
based on the re-invite.

Result? The caller can't be heard by the call taker at our FS. Plus, the
sound quality, even of the ring, is bad.

Sorry so long a post! Right now, we're forwarding the "bad" number to the
"good". A band-aid. Any ptime experts here? We did not change this
parameter, but did modify the call_timeout up to 19 from 15 trying to give
'em another ring. Then back down once this started to no avail.

Thanks for reading this far if you did. Any advice appreciated.