[Freeswitch-users] DTMF Problems! In-band detection patchy, rfc2833 not working!

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu May 26 00:48:11 MSD 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Sidharth Kshatriya <
sid.kshatriya at gmail.com> wrote:

> The tech support guys from my VOIP carrier had the following to say:
>
> "Have you told freeswitch to ANSWER the call prior to the the IVR coming
> into play as by default it would answer EARLY MEDIA thus allowing only 1 way
> audio and no DTMF."
>
> What does this mean? I answer the call within the lua script.

If you have something like "session:answer()" in your script then you're
good. You can also call the "answer" app prior to sending the call to the
Lua script. If you do a SIP trace and you see FS sending back a 200 OK then
you are telling the VoIP provider that you've answered the call. If you see
a 180 or 183 w/SDP but no 200 OK then that would indicate you've only
established early media and not actually answered the call. It sounds like
the carrier does not send audio in early media, which basically makes sense.
Look at the early media article on our wiki if you need to learn more about
it...

-MC