[Freeswitch-users] Major deployment of outbound FAX on latest version of Freeswitch question

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 6 18:58:14 MSD 2011

On 05/06/2011 01:14 PM, Andrew Keil wrote:

> To Freeswitch developers,
>
> **
>
> *RE: MOD_SPANDSP*
>
> I have a client that wishes to send 20,000 to 30,000 outbound faxes
> daily and has requested me to quote for a Freeswitch setup that will
> support this.
>
> I notice the comment on the mod spandsp wiki page: “We are finishing
> mod_spandsp. It requires full field testing now.” Well this could be a
> perfect opportunity J
>
> _I need to understand the following:_
>
> 1.Does the mod spandsp support the TDM cards (Sangoma) to send faxes
> out over E1 (Euro ISDN)?
>
> 2.How many concurrent faxes out have been tested using mod_spandsp ?
> Was this over SIP or over ISDN?
>
> 3.What is the preferred Operating System to use (since basically I
> would prefer to use the same one as the main developer of mod_spandsp)?
>
> 4.Where do I source the latest *email2pdf* to test that out?
>
> That should be enough to kick this question off.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Andrew Keil

What is the average number of pages per FAX that you expect to send?
Unless its quite big, this will be a fairly small scale system, so you
won't need any fancy hardware.

You can send the FAXes over ISDN or SIP. The Sangoma cards will do a
good job if you want to use ISDN E1s. If the average FAX is <=4 pages,
you'll probably only need a single E1, and you won't need anything very
exotic for the server, unless you are doing quite a lot of works besides
sending the FAXes. If this is a FAX only system you can use an E1 card
that does not have an echo canceller (EC) module. That saves money. If
you will have voice traffic as well, you had better consider buying an
EC equipped card.

Centos 5.x is the OS usually recommended for FreeSwitch, as it is what
most of the core developers test on.

I'm not clear why you are looking for email2pdf.

Is this going to be some kind of small scale e-mail to FAX gateway? FAX
to e-mail is a more common setup, but quite a few people run e-mail to
FAX gateways, too.

Steve