[Freeswitch-users] Is it a good idea to deploy Freeswitch on Xen Instances/Virtual Machines?

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:55:21 MSD 2011

The issue with running within a virtual machine is that your guest OS has no
control over timing. If another guest or the host does a lot of CPU or I/O
that can mean your guest can get blocked for an unpredictable amount of time
making maintaining a steady timer difficult. FS needs a reliable timer for
its RTP media to work reliably.

However having said that, if the server (both host and guests) isn't highly
loaded you probably won't have any major issues - timing will probably be
'reliable enough' and your jitter buffers will hide some of the jitter
you'll get so that you don't notice some of the more minor timing glitches.

I have run FS within virtual machines (VirtualBox) for testing purposes
without problems, and with problems. I don't run FS in a VM on any of my
production servers and wouldn't - but I do know others do.

OpenVZ takes a different approach to virtual machines - rather than
emulating an entire virtual server it partitions off your host system.
Everything is still running on the same system with the kernel knowing
exactly what's going on so timing is far more reliable. OpenVZ is the way
I've seen the FS developers recommend you run it if you must run it within a
VM, but that doesn't mean it won't work under Xen/EC2/etc.

-Steve