[Freeswitch-users] To Proxy Media or Not

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:59:36 MSK 2011

Yes.

You said you have PCMU and G729 enabled? Is that both inbound and outbound?

If so, it means that either your caller negotiated PCMU with FS, then FS
offers PCMU+G729 to the callee and they pick G729, or visa versa.

That's because FS will offer all the enabled codecs on the bleg. That leaves
the choice up to the callee on what they use and it might not be the same as
the aleg. That's only a problem with passthrough codecs such as G729, or if
you want to avoid transcoding because of CPU.

The way around it is to set either disable-transcoding or late-negotiation
parameters on the SIP profile.
disable-transcoding will only offer on the bleg the codec which has already
been negotiated for the aleg.
late-negotiation approaches it from the other end - it doesn't pick an aleg
codec straight away but instead offers all the choices to the bleg and then
uses for the aleg what the bleg selected.

-Steve