[Freeswitch-users] Proper prompt gain/level

Bryan Smart bryansmart at bryansmart.com
Tue Jun 28 00:00:01 MSD 2011

I don't want to maximize peaks all the way to 0DB. I just wondered why a low level like -16DB was used. When I'd previously created prompts on Asterisk systems, I used -6DB as a peak (50% of max gain for the channel).

I wasn't aware of any regulations about prompt level. If there is a standardized level, that is what I'd like to use. Perhaps the louder systems are disregarding standards? Does anyone have links to such info? I've been unable to find anything definitive, only opinions.

Listen to TellMe (+1-800-555-8355). It's at least 3X the gain of the default FS prompts. Is TellMe in error? I've called them through both FS and Asterisk, using Vitelity and Callcentric, so I'm fairly sure that I'm not being mislead by a switch or ITSP boosting the gain. I always felt their level was strong and intelligible, without sounding overwhelming.

One point that caught my attention, though, is that you said -16DB for both average and peak power. Average and peak power don't come out the same, though.

So that we can talk about something concrete, consider conference/32000/conf-enter_conf_pin.wav. Its peak power is -15.7DB. However, its average power (RMS) is -31.3DB! -31DB is profoundly quiet. If its average power is boosted to -16DB, then the peak power is now around -2DB. As long as peak power is less than 0DB, then the audio won't clip, but it might be too loud for comfort. I previously used -6DB for a peak, as I couldn't find any real guidelines regarding levels, and -6 sounded good to me.

Maybe FS is lower than it should be. Maybe other services are louder than they should be. If FS should be louder, though, I'd like to help to change the levels up-stream, rather than locally reprocessing the prompts.

So, is this a personal judgement case, or are their standards available that can be consulted?

Bryan