[Freeswitch-users] VoIP IP DSLAMs

Brent Paddon brent at overthewire.com.au
Fri Jun 17 15:54:37 MSD 2011

Probably just check what distance your FXS solution will support.  I've
heard a number of them do not support long distances commonly found on
outdoor style plant (they're more intended for in-building).

Brent

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Nandy Dagondon <gcd at i.ph> wrote:

> huh ... that's quiet pricey. perhaps an IP DSLAM + FXS would be a cheaper
> setup. in rural areas, many are still dinosaurs.
>

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM, David Ponzone <david.ponzone at ipeva.fr>wrote:
>
>> Hmmm unlikely I think.
>> The Zhone box for instance seems to be around 11,000$.
>>
>>  David Ponzone  Direction Technique
>> email: david.ponzone at ipeva.fr
>> tel:      01 74 03 18 97
>> gsm:   06 66 98 76 34
>>
>> Service Client IPeva
>> tel:      0811 46 26 26
>> www.ipeva.fr  -   www.ipeva-studio.com
>>
>> *Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à
>> l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion
>> non autorisée est interdite. Tout message électronique est susceptible
>> d'altération. **IPeva** décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce
>> message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou falsifié. Si vous n'êtes pas
>> destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire immédiatement et d'avertir
>> l'expéditeur.*
>> *
>> *
>>

>> Le 17/06/2011 à 10:25, Nandy Dagondon a écrit :
>>
>> yes, it doesn't add up because the application is in a rural area. the
>> Phybridge is a good solution except for the price. thanks David. however,
>> the MSAN, perfectly describes what i'm looking - hopefully the investment is
>> lower.
>>
>> thanks to all who contributed.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM, David Ponzone <david.ponzone at ipeva.fr>wrote:
>>
>>> Nandy,
>>>
>>> something does not add up.
>>> When you deploy DSLAMs for public lines, it's not for 24/48 ports, but
>>> rather for 20 000 to 30 000 ports.
>>> Perhaps there is a confusion about what is a public line.
>>> A public line is the 200 meters-8km pair of copper going from the local
>>> (legacy) telco facility to your house.
>>> You don't install your own DSLAMs for 24/48 ports, or perhaps you are in
>>> a very specific situation.
>>> I really doubt you will find a cost effective DSLAM for so few ports.
>>> Plus, you realize you will need to install on DSLAM in all the telco
>>> facilities required to get the coverage you need
>>>
>>> There are small DSLAMs on the market, but they are targeted for private
>>> lines (hospitality, health care, ...) and I really don't know if they can
>>> work on public lines.
>>>
>>> In case you actually need a small DSLAM just to run ADSL over a private
>>> pair of copper, you should have a look at:
>>>
>>> http://www.phybridge.com/uniphyer-ip-phones.aspx
>>>
>>> This thing does not call itself a DSLAM but it is one.
>>> They market that as a "switch" that enables LAN on your copper wires.
>>> It's a small lie for data usage as you only get 25Mbps/1.4Mbps (ATM), but
>>> for voice, that's enough.
>>> Basically, you put the "switch"-DSLAM in the network cabinet where the
>>> copper wires go, you connect the wires to it, you connect the ethernet port
> [...]

Brent Paddon

Director | Over the Wire Pty Ltd brent.paddon at overthewire.com.au |
www.overthewire.com.au
Phone: 07 3847 9292 | Fax: 07 3847 9696 | Mobile: 0400 2400 54