[Freeswitch-users] VoIP IP DSLAMs

David Ponzone david.ponzone at ipeva.fr
Fri Jun 17 11:37:34 MSD 2011

Nandy,

something does not add up.
When you deploy DSLAMs for public lines, it's not for 24/48 ports, but rather for 20 000 to 30 000 ports.
Perhaps there is a confusion about what is a public line.
A public line is the 200 meters-8km pair of copper going from the local (legacy) telco facility to your house.
You don't install your own DSLAMs for 24/48 ports, or perhaps you are in a very specific situation.
I really doubt you will find a cost effective DSLAM for so few ports.
Plus, you realize you will need to install on DSLAM in all the telco facilities required to get the coverage you need

There are small DSLAMs on the market, but they are targeted for private lines (hospitality, health care, ...) and I really don't know if they can work on public lines.

In case you actually need a small DSLAM just to run ADSL over a private pair of copper, you should have a look at:

http://www.phybridge.com/uniphyer-ip-phones.aspx

This thing does not call itself a DSLAM but it is one.
They market that as a "switch" that enables LAN on your copper wires.
It's a small lie for data usage as you only get 25Mbps/1.4Mbps (ATM), but for voice, that's enough.
Basically, you put the "switch"-DSLAM in the network cabinet where the copper wires go, you connect the wires to it, you connect the ethernet port to your LAN (so your FS). In each room/office, you plug an adapter (provided also by Phybridge) which is basically a small ADSL modem (powered from the switch through the wire), from which you get an ethernet port, with POE on it!

I like the solution on the paper, but never used. Because of the cost:
a 24 ports switch is 3500$
one adapter is 122$

so a full 24 ports solution would be 6500$, which is not very competitive compared to recabling the place.

But your mileage may vary.

David Ponzone  Direction Technique
email: david.ponzone at ipeva.fr
tel:      01 74 03 18 97
gsm:   06 66 98 76 34

Service Client IPeva
tel:      0811 46 26 26
www.ipeva.fr  -   www.ipeva-studio.com

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est interdite. Tout message électronique est susceptible d'altération. IPeva décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou falsifié. Si vous n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire immédiatement et d'avertir l'expéditeur.