[Freeswitch-users] Busy Status of a pool of IVR Channels; any HelloWorld app module for reference?

king2kin xing2kin at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 07:54:19 MSD 2011

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie to FreeSwitch, read some docs and ebook on FreeSwitch, and successfully compiled and tested it on Windows 2003 during the past two weeks.

Now I'd like to develop a FreeSwitch-SIP-VoIP based IVR and integrate it together with our in-house speech app server, and run them on a server machine on public network. The inbound and outboud calls between the FreeSwitch IVR and external cell phones go through the 3rd-party SIP-VoIP-PSTN gateway provider.

Here is my use-case:

reserve 50 and 100 sip voip channels for inbound and outbound ivr calls, respectively. All the 50 inbound sip channels are bound to a single DID phone number so that any cell phone users may call in to interact with an IVR dialplan script by the DID phone number; also, our scheduler application working as a client of FreeSwitch to make use of all the 100 outbound sip channels to periodically dial our users' cell phone numbers and execute ivr dialplan script, save the results.

Then, I get two questions here:

1. When a cell phone user calls in the IVR by DID, will FreeSwitch automatically pick up an idle channel (or extension) from the pool of 50 inbound sip channels or we have to develop a dialpan application to manually pick up an idle one from the pool according to some status variable (idle or busy) of sip channel? Similarily, when making outbound calls from the IVR to cell phones, we also need check whether a channel in the pool of outbound sip channels is idle or not by a status variable.

2. Is there any HelloWorld app module in C or C++ for FreeSwitch for reference when one tries to develop a custom application module from the scratch? It'd better have two functions (sync one, async one).

 To handle events and messages between these inbound or outbound calls and our speech app server, I am going to write a custom diaplan application module in C or C++. After roughly reading the source codes of mod_flite and mod_portaudio (I ever compiled and run the two projects 3 years ago), I am still not very clear where to start my app, and how to expose its functions to FreeSwitch.

Thanks!