[Freeswitch-users] NAT and Freeswitch

Narendra Sirugudi nsirugudi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 04:21:15 MSD 2011

__________________________
|                                            |
|________
____|_____                                            ___________
||              |                     |
|  74.1.1.1               74.1.1.2 |                   |
Server|------------------------------------------| Freeswitch  |
||________|10.10.10.10    |__________|         Public Network
|___________|
|                                             |                    74.1.1.0
|    Private Network 10.10.10.0   |
|__________________________|

Hi,

In the above topology, the typical issue one faces is that the SDP(rtp)
IP&port in SIP invite sent from the SIP UA to Freeswitch will contain the
private Ip address of the SIP UA.

Assuming source NAT, the typical solution is to use a STUN server  in the
public network, which will help the SIP UA to discover the public IP&port
(for its private IP&port). The UA then sends the Invite with the SDP(RTP)
IP&port set to the discovered public IP&port. (I believe Freeswitch does not
have a STUN server within itself.)

But suppose that we do not want to use the STUN solution. Does Freeswitch
itself offer any solutions in this case ?

thanks,
--naren