[Freeswitch-users] SIP Presence Subscription Management

Dunkel, Christopher cdunkel at harris.com
Wed Jul 20 20:21:03 MSD 2011

I'm having an issue with SIP presence through Freeswitch and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me determine if my problem is with Freeswitch or with the client(s) I'm using.

The system I'm using includes Freeswitch (version 1.0.6) running on a Linux box and two soft phone clients running on iPhone and Android (PJSip on iPhone and Linphone on Android).  The problem that I'm having appears the same on both clients, which leads me to believe that this may be a Freeswitch config problem.

The clients are able to send a SUBSCRIBE message and receive a NOTIFY immediately when one of the subscribed users registers with Freeswitch.  They also receive the offline NOTIFY when the user unregisters from Freeswitch.  However, an online NOTIFY message is not sent when the user comes back online.  It seems as if Freeswitch is clearing all presence subscriptions for a particular user when they unregister from the server.  Is there any way to prevent Freeswitch from clearing these subscribes unless specifically directed to do so?

Also, on a possibly related subject, I am only able to receive "online" and "offline" presence notifications.  I only receive "offline" presence notifications when a user unregisters from Freeswitch.  Attempting to send any other presence value from one of the clients (i.e. "busy", "be right back", "offline", etc...) only results in an "online" notification being sent.  Has anyone else seen similar behavior?

Thanks,
Chris