[Freeswitch-users] SIP OPTIONS

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 19:38:33 MSD 2011

By the way, ANY standards-compliant SIP server should respond to the OPTIONS
with a usable response.

>From RFC3261, Section 11 says: "All UAs MUST support the OPTIONS method."
And Section 12 says "The response code chosen MUST be the same that would
have been chosen had the request been an INVITE."

The RFC suggests that can mean it would return user busy etc (FS treats most
replies to the ping as success). In practice I usually only see servers
replying with 200 OK or 403 Forbidden (not logged in).

In the case of FS it would return 200 OK because any more precise response
code requires going to the dialplan to process the call to determine the
user busy etc result.

-Steve