[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch/voip on EC2 or other cloud/virtual services

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:18:58 MSD 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM, David Ponzone <david.ponzone at ipeva.fr>wrote:

> I am not sure I understand the reason for a cloud solution.
> Most of the time, it costs quite exactly the same and even more than a
> dedicated server.
>
> There are probably good reasons to go for the cloud, but I think I am
> missing most of them;

For me its scaling up, without much work. Starting up I start up with a
small EC2 instance, about 35$/month plus few dollars in bandwidth & I/O
charges, similar to an entry level linode or synapseglobal vps.

But migrating to a higher instance, medium instance around 175$ & so on.
Snapshop backups are so easy in amazon, that I would not have setup &
installation headaches again....simply save the instance to EBS & boot up in
a medium or large instance......or so I think ;-)

Many times I do tend to go on without understanding....so seeking third
party confirmation before I embark ;-)

Sanjay.