[Freeswitch-users] Virtualisation and freeswitch

Peter Olsson peter.olsson at visionutveckling.se
Sun Jan 30 05:54:43 MSK 2011

Some people claim they have solved it, but it's still all dependant on the hw config, the VM config etc. There is not one generic solution that fixes timer problems in virtualized environments. And there is no "fix" available that makes timing in a VM as accurate as real hw systems.

I would say that FS timing works at least as good (or probably better) than Asterisk. But in virtualized systems the timing might be bad enough to produce bad audio. I would never use a virtual host for production, but I know there are people who use it that way, and are happy with the results.

The basic tricks I know of in ESXi is to only give the virtual host one CPU (SMP systems makes the clock less accurate in this case), and to make sure that this core is not shared with other hosts.

/Peter