[Freeswitch-users] conferencing

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:23:32 MSK 2011

That will still involve transcoding. FS must combine all speaking
channels into a single stream that can be sent to the conference
members. That can't be done in a compressed audio format, so it must
convert G711 to L16 for each speaking member, combine those pieces of
audio, then convert L16 back to G711 to send to the conference
members. Additionally, since the conference members are not
necessarily all using the same codec that last transcoding step will
occur once for each member, not just once for the conference. Your
best bet is to use a codec that uses as little CPU for transcoding as
possible - in software I'm not sure which is best there (G711 is
simple so possibly a good choice), in hardware Sangoma D100/D500 would
almost all the processing off the CPU.

-Steve