[Freeswitch-users] PlayAndGetDigits parameters

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Feb 25 21:52:58 MSK 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Malay Thakershi <mthakershi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Recently I upgraded to latest GIT version and found there was an extra
> parameter to this function.
>
> I have two questions if someone can explain:
>
> --> 4th parameter
> * timeout = Number of milliseconds to wait once the file is done playing
> before you type a digit.
> From the name, I alway thought this had to do with user's inactivity at the
> prompt. So if value is 3000, after 3 seconds of inactivity prompt will
> either do a retry or move on.
> But I think from wiki description, it seems # of milliseconds for which
> data entry will be blocked, am I correct?

No, it does not block. This timeout is for how long PAGD will wait until it
does a retry. For example, with 3000 it will play the file, wait for 3 secs
while listening for digits, and if no digits are pressed it will start the
process all over again. When it gets to max tries then it will fail and move
on.

> --> 10th parameter
> * digit_timeout = Number of milliseconds to wait after DTMF ( Added Here
> [1]<http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/changelog/freeswitch.git/?cs=cfa30468e89788d220ad9fbc07ab1ae3406cf3fa>
>  )
> What does this do? Is it # ms to wait before second digit can be pressed?

The digit timeout is like an "inter-digit timer." It basically is the
maximum amount of time the caller can wait in between digits. So if that is
set to 2500, then the caller can wait no more than 2.5 seconds in between
key presses. The idea is to tailor just how long PAGD will wait after
hearing digits to assume that the caller is done entering his/her digits. If
you are still confused by this then I recommend doing two tests, one where
you set this value really low, like 2000 and another where you set it really
high, like 8000. Then call and enter some digits. See how long it takes for
PAGD to assume you're done dialing.

I will revisit the wiki page and make sure I clarify this documentation.

-MC