[Freeswitch-users] implementing stereo (e.g. portaudio to test it easily)

mazilo Nabble at slickdeals.endjunk.com
Fri Feb 25 18:38:27 MSK 2011

MatzeMuc86 wrote:
> My idea: A conference room for regular sip clients but also special user
> clients which can receive stereo. Stereo is needed as those clients will
> get
> a special HRTF sound: different people are placed on different 3D
> positions
> in the room and you can hear them. This is NOT regular stereo sound but
> real
> 3D sound. Why is this better: Mixing all together to one mono channel, it
> is
> very difficult to distinguish between different people.
> Interesting links:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect.
> There have been several tests (and there is literature as well) that
> proofs
> that it is much easier to follow conversations which use 3D sound like
> HRTF.
> And I want to do this not by some proprietary software like it is done by
> with Mumble by J. Feldmayer but with SIP to be able to connect also
> regular
> SIP clients (and regular phones or whatever I want).
AFAIC, this indeed is a very interesting project. I am no expert nor have
any idea how mathematically complex this will become as the conference room
grows larger. I am hoping you will make the end product from project
available to public. Best of luck.

-----
FreeSWITCH hosted on a Seagate DockStar with OpenWRT.