[Freeswitch-users] which language to implement dial plans in?

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 12:07:13 MSK 2011

C is faster, but it's probably not worth it unless you can show that there's
enough processing being done by your script that it'd have an impact. It's
slightly more work to tweak it than just editing a script since you'd need
to recompile and reload the module, which might also be trickier if you're
handling traffic at the time.

Lua (mod_lua) is probably the most commonly used language, but there's also
Python (mod_python) as you've spotted. There's also JavaScript
(mod_spidermonkey) which you haven't mentioned. Which you use is really up
to you though.

As far as database access goes, from Lua check out:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Lua_freeswitch_dbh

It gives you a database interface without having to install and configure
luasql, and you get to take advantage of the FS connection pooling which you
wouldn't if you were using the native support. That'll should speed up
database access times (you'll in most cases already be connected to the
database so the call doesn't have to wait while you connect). I don't think
that interface is available in the other languages just yet though.

-Steve