[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch design!

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 20:26:46 MSK 2011

All the best information is on the Wiki and in the source.

Wiki: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki
Source: git://git.freeswitch.org/freeswitch.git

Media is processed using the RTP protocol using FS's own stack.

By control protocols I assume you mean the signalling? There are several
supported: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Specsheet#Protocols
Each protocol is implemented in an endpoint module which wraps around a FOSS
library that implements the protocol, e.g. SIP is implemented in mod_sofia
using the Nokia Sofia-SIP stack.

There's also a management interface implemented using the custom ESL
protocol. That's all documented on the wiki and there's a client using it
and implementations of it in a range of languages in the source so you can
write your own (libs/esl).

The only high-level design overview I know of is this one on the Wiki:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Core_Outline_of_FreeSWITCH

Most of it is written in C (there's a little C++ there too). You can extend
it yourself by writing your own C modules or using the runtime support for
languages such as Lua, .NET and Javascript.

-Steve