[Freeswitch-users] Auto test FS install - now necessary?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Feb 4 21:22:45 MSK 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM, guru singh <grsingh750 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Steven Ayre <steveayre at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Testing yourself is always a good idea before rolling out to a production
> > system. That'll show any obvious ones up that can be fixed quickly.
>
> On a related note, After thorough testing, if a system is put in
> production. Would it be 'best practice' not to update it, if no config
> changes or new functionality is ever desired?

This depends greatly on your scenario. Personally, I think that anyone who
puts FS into production (i.e. in a place where it helps one make money)
should *ALWAYS* have a backup/sandbox/test system for handling updates. If
you are in a mission-critical scenario then it probably means that once you
get it working you don't touch it unless you absolutely have to. That's
where your test system comes in to play. Ideally you have the exact same
hardware on your test system that you do in production. Then your test
system can double as a warm standby.

Just my $.02, but I think that commodity hardware being so cheap these days
that there's no excuse for a for-profit venture using FS (or any other
software, for that matter) not to have a test system for mission-critical
servers.

-MC