[Freeswitch-users] Sofia late-negotiation onre-INVITE(codec-modification)

Visciano Giovanni Giovanni.Visciano at italtel.it
Wed Dec 21 22:34:57 MSK 2011

I used to say to my boss:
... it's not a bug it's a feature! I'm kidding :)

By the way, even in this "design choice", al least the first test scenario is a bug
(described in the first half on the Jira BUG):
http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/17906

Moreover this "by design" behavior create some problem not only for
transcoding issue but also for fax upspeed codec modification (no T38).

Years ago, when hardware resources where poor, I had a lot of discussions with
my colleagues to avoid the allocation of transcoding resources on our softswitch
and we always ended up to use a transcoding resource if and only if it's really needed,
if the endpoints can speak the same language let them do all the stuff. I know
easy to say but ...

Back to FS, what I think is we miss an endpoint independent codec negotiation signaling.
I mean something like we have in the call setup phase via "absolute_codec_string"
/ "ep_codec_string" / SWITCH_ORIGINATOR_CODEC_VARIABLE.

As I'm playing/prototyping a new endpoint module I used these channel variable to
successfully interworking with SIP endpoint gateway in codec passthrough...
but now that the test-suite is going over the SIP basic call codec modification I found
that "by design problem".

In the (working) spare time I'm trying to write a patch to extend the core interworking
opening the way I suggested few lines over. As I'm very new to FS, for now it's a very
embryonal and poor implementation in my opinion, but enough for the endpoint module
prototype evaluation.
I hope to give that back to you if I can find more time to move the patch to a presentable level.

Giovanni