[Freeswitch-users] Reinstall FreeSWITCH after new kernel?

John freeswitch at earthspike.net
Thu Dec 15 14:08:26 MSK 2011

Henrik,

I and some others have had problems with the 100Hz Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
kernel.  All appeared to work for some days but occasionally choppy
calls occur, often only in one direction.  We run a Sangoma BRI card
(B700) and the problem manifests on the outgoing path.  I have recently
changed to the Ubuntu preemptive kernel (no kernel recompilation
required!) which has the 1000Hz timer and low-latency interrupt
response. After 10 days running so far, it appears to have cured the
problem.

Installing the pre-emptive kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-preempt linux-headers-preempt

You will need the linux-headers-preempt if you need to rebuild kernel
drivers for any hardware (which I do).

You will be pleased to hear that you do not need to reinstall your
FreeSWITCH installation; the whole job takes less than 5 minutes.

John