[Freeswitch-users] Asterisk to FreeSWITCH migration guide

Nestor A Diaz nestor at tiendalinux.com
Wed Aug 10 19:00:55 MSD 2011

On 08/10/2011 04:51 AM, Steven Ayre wrote:
> As with Asterisk there's no official GUI, but there are several open
> source projects providing one. Or you can build your own. A few
> include blue.box (2800hz project) and FusionPBX.
> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Freeswitch_Gui

Hi, i know there is always the possibility to build my own, but that's
not the point, i prefer something ready to use, i neither use those kind
of GUIs, those are for my customers, as i always prefer working on a
command line and i don't have plans to change my mind regarding this.

> As for G729 which you mentioned... do NOT use the Intel IPP codec. It
> is ILLEGAL unless you have purchased a valid licence for it, which is
> extremely unlikely. You can support it using a hardware transcoding
> card (Sangoma), mod_com_g729 (version licensed by FreeSWITCH) and
> mod_g729 (which is passthrough only, no transcoding but fine for
> bridging calls).

I know the use of the free g.729 is illegal, but if you want to test it
without going to production i don't see the reason why i can't use it on
my batcave.

> chan_mobile's closest match is probably mod_gsmopen. I believe it uses
> a cable rather than bluetooth though, and is faily new so probably
> 'experimental'.

Comming from the asterisk world i understand experimental is the same as
not working, beta = maybe, and first stable means some release behind
for production environments.  Anyway chan_mobile is a hack module but
works fine for one or two cell phones.

Anybody have used mod_gsmopen ? does this thing really works ? do you
have to transfer the dial number tones for making a call ? it that's
true i still prefer a sip gateway and a cell plant.

I would love to have something like asterisk's chan_sebi running under
freeswitch (it never works for me on asterisk but the idea is nice, very
nice)

> IAX2 is supported by mod_opal. As you noted though, it isn't as stable
> as say mod_sofia.

discarded, i prefer to use asterisk in another machine for that and
brigde the calls to asterisk via SIP. (see chan_mobiles comments for
explanation :) )

> For fax handling check the T38 functionality provided by mod_spandsp.

T.38 seems good, anybody have been able to make it work with hylafax ??
is possible ?

Slds.

--
Nestor A. Diaz