[Freeswitch-users] proxy SDP

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Fri Apr 15 18:05:14 MSD 2011

I'm really starting to think that no amount of documentation will ever
make this clear:

FreeSWITCH default media mode:
- RTP proxied by FreeSWITCH
- FreeSWITCH controls codec negotiation
- If endpoints agree on same codec, no transcoding is performed
- All features enabled - recording, DTMF interception, etc, etc

Proxy media mode:
- RTP proxied by FreeSWITCH (c= modified, that's it)
- FreeSWITCH has no control or even understanding of other SDP
parameters (pass through)
- Endpoints *MUST* agree on same codec because FreeSWITCH can't help them
- Virtually no features available

Bypass media mode:
- RTP *NOT* proxied by FreeSWITCH
- FreeSWITCH has no control over anything SDP related - it's
completely pass through from one leg to next (including c=)
- Endpoints must agree on same codec because FreeSWITCH doesn't even
see the media or SDP

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Sam <u2nsam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> AS freeswitch modifies SDP ( Media Description & Media Attributes) so is
> there any way to just bypass that process.
>
> Regards
> Sam
>

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Steven Ayre <steveayre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't mean they're equivalent, because proxy_media has other sideaffects
>> such as disabling many features.
>>
>> I mean there are different better ways to avoid transcoding.
>>
>> What you suggested with bridge should indeed avoid it. Without the
>> absolute_codec_string the bleg would be offered all codecs supported by FS
>> which may be more than supported by the caller, however with that setting it
>> would only offer those supported by both the caller and FS. The callee will
>> pick one it supports (or return 488 Not Acceptable Here). The aleg will then
>> use the same codec as the bleg, so at that point both legs will be using the
>> same codec so no transcoding will take place (unless you try using something
>> like eavesdrop/record). You could then if you wanted handle the 488 Not
>> Acceptable Here by redialing without absolute_codec_string to try again,
>> this time the bleg could use a different codec than the aleg (transcoding).
>>
>> -Steve
>>

>> On 14 April 2011 13:28, Sergey Okhapkin <sos at sokhapkin.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean
>>>
>>> set proxy_media=true
>>>
>>> is the equivalent of
>>>
>>> set late_negotiation=true
>>> bridge {absolute_codec_string=${ep_codec_string}}blah
>>>
>>> and transcoding will never happen?

Kristian Kielhofner