[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch as VoIP-2-PSTN gateway

Holger von Rhein lortas at freenet.de
Sun Sep 19 08:46:33 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I plan to set up a VoIP/SIP switch at home. Further I'd like this switch
to also act as gateway into PSTN.

For this, I installed freeswitch and now I am looking around how to
connect it to my analog USB-Modem (it's a true modem, not a winmodem) to
FreeSwitch. By googling, by reading the documentation and the
mailinglist, I came to the implication that it is not supported by
FreeSwitch to be a PSTN-gateway via an analogue modem. I will need an
external PSTN-2-SIP-gateway.

Is my implication correct? If yes, will this change in future?

Does anyone have some hints for me, how to get a cheap solution? (Its
juts for home-use)

Is it correct, that in case of an ISDN-modem freeswitch is able to be a
PSTN-gateway?

Kind Regards,
Holger