[Freeswitch-users] No Open ports, can't connect

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:20:57 PDT 2010

Hey all, this is my first post to this mailing list, so please be gentle. I
recently got a job at a VoIP carrier. I am trying to learn more about SIP,
and have set up a lab on my workstation.

Right now I am running centOS in a virtual machine (guest OS) and that is
where I've installed freeswitch 1.0.6 (stable).
Freeswitch starts with no issues (though getting it to run with init.d
doesn't seem to be happening, not a big deal though considering this is just
for playing). However checking netstat doesn't show any ports being opened
by freeswitch. The centOS install has the firewall and SELinux both disabled
so there's no reason no ports should be open that I can tell.

On the guest OS I've got ekiga installed, and it won't connect with the
default 1000/1234 account.
On the host OS I've got ekiga and x-lite installed. Trying with either one
gives a request time out.

Running a port query on port 5060 on the guest shows that the port as not
listening.

There are no firewalls between the host and guest OS. I should be able to
connect cleanly. My goal is to play around, capture the packets with
wireshark, and then be able to analyze them, generate ladder diagrams, etc.

I'm setting all of this up so I can learn, so I really don't even know where
to begin troubleshooting. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks.
-Matthew