[Freeswitch-users] conference relate question

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Sep 7 13:44:04 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM, <covici at ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt answer -- this seems very clumsy to me -- anyway
> to have it done automatically i.e. conference only 1 2 and conference
> only clear or something like that?

Like Tony said, if it's clumsy then it might be the wrong tool for the job.
However, if you think of it like the proverbial Lego bricks then maybe it's
just a matter of gathering the blocks that you need and putting them
together in a way that you can personally reuse in your application.

For example, if you are building a web-based conference control application
and you want the app to control who can hear whom in the conference then you
might want to create a few utility functions that abstract away the
"clumsiness." You could create a higher level function that accepts userA
and userB and "relation type" as arguments. Relation type could be the
specific kinds of relationships that you want to define:
UserA speaks only to UserB but userB can still hear everyone else
UserA speaks only to UserB and userB can hear only userA
Optionally, UserA can hear everyone or can hear only UserB

>From there it's up to you as to how it all works: is it browser-only? Can
conference members control it? Can only some conference members control it,
i.e. privileged members? Now you're building an app that suits your needs.

This is a typical scenario for FreeSWITCH: take the pieces provided and
build a user-specific solution. By keeping the relate function at a lower
level it is more flexible and powerful. This comes at a cost of "some
assembly required" - sometimes seen as "clumsiness" - but with the value
that you can do *exactly* what you want to do. It's the usual
power/flexibility vs. ease of use trade-off.

> Also, I assume -- that all those commands can be done from the cli?!

Yes.