[Freeswitch-users] Simultaneous calls / sound / resources

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Oct 21 18:06:44 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Malay Thakershi <mthakershi at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am really afraid.. if I update the system.. my current settings won't
> work. Is there a safe way to go from one version to other? Any method?
>
> If you are in production then you really should have a second machine
explicitly for testing. If you don't have a second machine then updating can
be an adventure. However, if you completely backup your
/usr/local/freeswitch directory and also your /usr/src/freeswitch directory
(whatever you named it) then you will have a snapshot of exactly what you
are running. You could restore those if the update goes bad for any reason.
(WARNING: that is a risky thing to do with a production system!)

The trick to updating and old system is to install fresh (preferably on your
test system) and then integrate your custom changes to the default configs.
Run FS, look for errors, fix 'em, repeat. I will never recommend you do this
on a production server, but some folks like to live dangerously. If you
don't have a test system then you have 3 choices: get a test server and
experiment on it, do your experiments on your production server (being VERY
careful to backup everything first), or live with the old version.

I think you'll agree that having a test system is the best option available.
-MC