[Freeswitch-users] G.729 & Windows

mazilo Nabble at slickdeals.endjunk.com
Wed Oct 20 06:44:11 PDT 2010

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Searching/googling about G.729 and freeswitch did not reveal any news
> about G.729 on Windows.
>
> Is there any estimate about when it will be available for Windows?
Just curious. If a G729 CoDec is a MUST and unless you prefer to use a SIP
compliant ATA device that already comes with a built-in G729 CoDec, then you
can search through Google for some freely available (non-GPLed and perhaps a
3-rd party) SIP softphone for Windows with a built-in G729 CoDec. In this
case, unless you have a plan to configure your FS server with an option to
do a G729 transcoding, there is no need to waste money for a G729 CoDec
license because the endpoints can easily negotiate to use their respective
built-in G729 CoDec.

FYI, I have my FS server hosted on a Seagate
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar
DockStar  sans a G729 CoDec and set G729 as its defaults CoDec, and all
calls are working perfectly with a G729 CoDec on my Linksys PAP2v1/v2 and/or
my Uniden  http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=UIP1869V
UIP1869V  device. Honestly, the reason I use G729 CoDec is to save some
Internet bandwidth, especially communicating with others in some 3-rd world
countries where their broadband Internet connections are still metered per
their usage/month.

-----
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men,
but not when used together.