[Freeswitch-users] digium board

João Mesquita jmesquita at freeswitch.org
Tue Oct 19 07:18:00 PDT 2010

Brian, fortunately or unfortunately, business decisions don't go hand in
hand with technical decisions. Khomp is a small (60 employee) brazilian
company starting to learn how to deal with opensource products. They have
made great improvement, mostly because I have been putting pressure, onto
moving forward with FreeSWITCH™. I am and will ever be a big sponsor of the
project and I now have a small participation on the company, therefore,
pushing Khomp even more towards sponsoring FreeSWITCH™. I can bet they are
going to be sponsoring ClueCon next year.

You have been following this process that has been taking over 2 years and a
lot of effort from my own personal time in favor of having more commercial
initiatives join the cause on other parts of the world besides the US and
Europe. We are finally getting somewhere and Khomp has been helping place
FreeSWITCH™ on the map in Brazil and soon on the rest of Latin America. They
have put pressure on local branch of Linux Magazine for them to publish a
translated version of MCs article (which in fact was published), I have been
invited several times to several speeches to promote FreeSWITCH™ and the
buzz has started to spread in the market.

Khomp comes from the Dialogic world where API is the big secret to be kept
and it is indeed a big cultural change to support opensource products
specially when this market started with Digium, which posed as a big threat
for all hard card manufacturers.

Anyway, this was an attempt to expose a bit of the "whys" on the decision
the company has made and try to improve the way ppl have been looking at
this small company that has great technical expertise and aims at having
high quality products instead of cheap cards with bad design. I congratulate
Sangoma for doing the same despite of us being competition (good competition
for all I care). :-)

I am sorry for the big email but I deeply involved with the FreeSWITCH™
success inside of Khomp and there's a lot at stake with my own career. Safe
to say that we have been having nothing but great experiences with the
development of mod_khomp and the community. The developers are very glad
with Tony and core devs assistance. For that, I thank you.

Regards,
João Mesquita