[Freeswitch-users] Newbie (sort of) questions

Mario mario_fs at mgtech.com
Mon Oct 11 15:17:33 PDT 2010

Hope this helps: I am replacing an SPA9000 (asterisk) with FS, testing
on Linux then moving to a mac mini. I tried this 8 months ago and used
some of the GUI options. My two cents: stick with XML parms. Things go
wrong and a GUI gets in the way, it "hides from view" valuable info. I
was able to get FS up and running the first try on Linux. osX 10.6.4
took some work (search for my userid in the list from the last 2 weeks)
but eventually worked. Although FS is done I am having one last tough
problem no one here (or on IRC) attempted to help with and I can't
imagine working on it without having done the XML stuff myself. To
answer your question though, this is what I did and recommend:

1. If you haven't already buy the book and study it! You definitely
won't need/want a GUI after that.
2. Search the wiki, it has some very good configs to get started, use
pieces from multiple samples. Google search help with the wiki too.
3. Search Google to find the pages on this mailing list easily.
4. As a last resort, post on this group.

On 10/11/2010 12:10 PM, Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> There is a new project, which looks quite promising:
>
> www.2600hz.org
>
> Regards
> HASSAN
>

> On 2010-10-12, Martin Joseph <astmac at stillnewt.org> wrote:
>> Hi Again FreeSWITCHers,
>>
>> I am building a new setup for my "new" house (I have been remodeling for 5
>> years).
>>
>> I have build FS via GIT on my "new" xServe hardware (dual Xeon 2Ghz) which I
>> was able to do pretty easily (Hurray!).  In the past I have struggled with
>> updating my older FS install on my anemic g3/500 ibook install which is
>> still running by the way.
>>
>> So,  now I am thinking about configuring my new installation, and I being no
>> expert am not looking forward to figuring this all out again. My
>> installation is overall pretty simple with a gateway to POTS (audiocodes
>> MP114) and several Voip providors, one of whom is hopefully still in
>> business (heh).
>>
>> Anyhow,  my first request is for GUI based FS configuration systems?  These
>> could run on my OSX box (via X11 or Cocoa), or be some kind of web based
>> thing.  It doesn't need to be super customizable, but not having to
>> find/edit the XML files would be lovely. I am a mac person after all.
>>
>> If there are no recommended GUI's available, then pointing me to the best
>> sample pages for configuration would also be greatly appreciated...
>>
>> Thanks again for the great software and all of your efforts!
>> Marty
>>
>> PS looking forward to killing me last Asterisk install...

*Mario*