[Freeswitch-users] T.38 and Audiocodes or Patton gateway

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Sat Nov 20 08:15:08 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 03:00 AM, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>>    It's a better parameter for T.38 in general...
>>
>>    When you look at a T.38 trace (presumably without ECM) you'll see
>> that the T.38 data stream is entirely unidirectional.  The sending
>> device sends a stream of data - that's it.
> Er, no. There is is two way exchange between each page, or between each
> chunk of a page in ECM mode. You should require a single page that takes
> longer than 600s to send for this timer to expire.

  Thanks for the clarification but that's exactly the behavior I saw
and (not completely accurately) described.  I had a single page of
multiple complex images that took longer than 300 seconds to send -
which was my media timeout before I bumped it to 600.

  Is there any chance in having the media timeouts in FreeSWITCH
"tweaked" when T.38 is in use to prevent this?  I can imagine people
using FreeSWITCH in scenarios where they want relatively short media
timeouts for traditional voice calls (RTP) and longer "timeouts" for
faxes (T.38) on the same system.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org