[Freeswitch-users] Help! FS Unable to Handle Incoming Calls Through SIP Gateway

Yasuro yasuro at yasuro.com
Sun Nov 14 23:09:34 PST 2010

Peter and David, thanks for trying to help out.

I did wonder about that too, Peter, but it seems to me that my VoIP
adapter at 192.168.11.250 sends out an RTCP receiver report right before
it ends a call. This is shown in the trace of packet exchange between
AsteriskWin32 and the VoIP adapter
<http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/14457>. In case you did not see my
original posting, AsteriskWin32 does do what I want to achieve, i.e.,
automatically answers incoming calls to my DID number.

I have FreeSWITCH at 192.168.11.11 register with the VoIP adapter, which
is a SIP gateway provided by my SIP service provider. When I call FS's
extension number from another softphone, also on the home LAN, which is
also registered with the same VoIP adapter, FS answers automatically as
I expect it to. The RTP steam is established between FS and the
softphone directly. This part is different from incoming calls' case,
where the VoIP adapter seems to act as a proxy and tries to establish an
RTP stream between itself and FS.

The VoIP adapter sends an ACK back to FS when FS accepts an INVITE with
an OK. I'd think everything is hunky dory up to that point. What I do
not get is why the VoIP adapter decides to end the call immediately
after (and sends an RTCP receiver report). I am guessing it is because
there is something wrong with the RTP communication that is supposed to
follow.

I am thinking it is either because: A. the VoIP adapter somehow couldn't
send RTP packets, or B. the VoIP adapter didn't like the RTP packets
that it received from FS. I don't think A. is the case. The firewall of
the PC on which FS runs was turned off during testing and the VoIP
adapter has no problem sending RTP packets to AsteriskWin32 on the same
PC (I did not run FS and Asterisk simultaneously). Since I could not
find anything particularly odd about RTP packets sent by FS, I have no
idea if B. is a possibility.

By the way, my home LAN is set up in a weird way (please see
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q302/starplatina/For%20Blogs/HomeLANSetup-1.jpg).
Double NAT layers are understandably a concern, but since both the VoIP
adapter and FS (and the softphone too) are accessible on the inner layer
of NAT, this should not be a problem... I would think (Correct me if I
am wrong). I do not need to and thus am not trying to access FS from the
Internet.

I would welcome any input. Thanks again for your help!

Yasuro