[Freeswitch-users] FS as Media Gateway Only

Vitalii Colosov vetali100 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 13:55:12 PDT 2010

In our implementation only Media servers generate CDRs. No Media session -
no CDR (at least we need exactly this behavior).

However if you need, you can generate CDRs only on Signalling servers I
beleive.

Regards,
Vitalie

2010/5/29 Saeed Ahmed <saeedahmad1981 at gmail.com>

> [...]
>> chain of signaling would be Inbound -> FSSIP -> FSRTP -> Outbound (using
>> names and terms in my original question), while the chain of media would be
>> Inbound -> FSRTP -> Outbound. This way we can have multiple servers handling
>> media and minimal servers handling signaling.
>>
>> Let me clarify a little more my motivation for asking this question in the
>> first place. I work with telecom carriers on a daily basis and have seen
>> many different architectures. The first biggest problem is how to load
>> balance SIP traffic when you are receiving calls, if one server is not
>> enough. The second biggest problem is handling all RTP, including
>> transcoding. With this architecture, one or two IPs for signaling can be
>> handled by most carriers. So you can beef up your hardware for signaling and
>> depend less on your carrier's ability to load balance traffic for you. If
>> they can do round-robin or failover for two IPs, you are golden. And then
>> you can deploy multiple nodes to handle all RTP duties, without having to
>> concern your carrier about multiple servers and IPs. But there's one thing
>> still missing. Your outbound carrier still needs to allow traffic from
>> multiple IPs because now they are dealing with FSRTP instead of FSSIP.
>>
>> Is there such a solution possible using FS that all signaling, for both
>> inbound and outbound carriers, can be handled by a couple of FSSIP nodes
>> (depending on the amount of traffic, maybe a few more) while delegating
>> media responsibilities to multiple FSRTP nodes? In this situation, SIP IP is
>> always, say 10.10.10.1 or 10.10.10.2, but the SDP may use media IPs
>> 10.10.10.3, 10.10.10.4, 10.10.10.5, and so on. Almost all carriers I have
>> seen concern themselves only with which SIP IPs they should allow and don't
>> care how many or which media IPs they have to deal with. Any ideas on
>> minimizing signaling IPs while adding more media IPs as required?
>>
>> I have seen re-invite being used in production where you can just let your
>> inbound and outbound handle media between them on their own without it going
>> through your network. But there are circumstances where people might need to
>> pass media through their own network, chiefly to perform transcoding and
>> also to handle other interop issues. It is because of this use case,
>> combined with the need for minimizing signaling IPs, that the original
>> question was asked.
>>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Vitalii Colosov <vetali100 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Code,
>>>
>>> I have working example doing exactly what you've described.
>>> One signalling FS bridges incoming call to a set of media servers
>>> (depending on ip, but you can implement any routing logic including round
>>> robin) and then transfers media stream after bridging to that media server.
>>>
>>> You can achieve this on signalling FS by creating a Lua script that
>>> contains the following lines:
>>>
>>> media_server="my_media_X.mydomain.com"; --to be determined by routing
>>> logic
>>> forwarding_session = "sofia/external/"..called_number.."@"..media_server;
>>> session:setVariable("bypass_media_after_bridge", "true");
>>> session:setVariable("hangup_after_bridge", "true");