[Freeswitch-users] [Out of curiosity] Why not use a voice modem for FXO?

GillesToo codecomplete at free.fr
Wed May 26 13:26:49 PDT 2010

Anthony Minessale wrote:
> Even if you get it working the reward is not worth the effort. You would
> experience a lot of echo and other problems

I read somewhere that the reason for those problems people often have with
X100P cards (such as echo or bad far-end disconnect supervision) is that
most of them have they use the Silicon Labs DAA chips Si3012/Si3035 which is
only good for use in countries that use the FCC standard; Countries that use
the CTR21 standard (Europe, and others) require the Si3014/Si3034 chips,
which support global line standards.

Anthony Minessale wrote:
> ... and the time you spent working on it would be better spent doing
> something more meaningful and using the money you received to buy a real
> TDM card or better still, a FXO->SIP ATA.

I thought TDM cards were a better solution to connect an IP PBX to a
landline. Why would you recommend an FXO-SIP ATA instead? And which
brand/model of ATA is recommended for use with Freeswitch?