[Freeswitch-users] [Out of curiosity] Why not use a voice modem for FXO?

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Wed May 26 09:32:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Mike Tkachuk <mike at yes.net.ua> wrote:
> Hello GillesToo,
>
>  Asterisk "X100P" is just Intel IA92 WinModem.
>  This is the so-called "clone" X100P, you can buy it on ebay for 15$
>  I used this last time like 5 years ago :)
>  Main  problems  you'll  face  is echo and detecting line states (when
>  remote party hangup or pick up a call)

XP100 clones that you can buy cheap works decent if you use OSLEC line
echo cancellation (
http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html#install ).

Obviously, that will not give you the reliability, call flow analisys,
etc you can get from a "real" telephony card, or better an ATA, but
you can experiment with it and see if it can satisfy your needs (using
OSLEC for zaptel).

> Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:37:08 PM, you wrote:
>

> G> Hello
>
> G> In case there are system developers out there with good experience writing
> G> modem softare, considering that...
> G> 1. even a cheap OpenVox PCI card starts at $90 for just one FXO port
> G> 2. even entry-level PC's theses days have ample CPU power especially when
> G> just used a basic server with Linux
> G> 3. we've been using so-called softmodems (ie. controller-less modems that
> G> offload processing to the computer's CPU) for over a decade and they sell
> G> for about $10 as OEM
> G> 4. and finally, Digium/Asterisk's Zaptel driver was precisely meant to run
> G> on cheap voice cards
>
> G> ... I was wondering why no one has gone forth and written a driver for this
> G> kind of hardware, which would be great for SOHO users to handle just one
> G> landline. Is it because the hardware is not standard enough, and writing
> G> this kind of driver takes a lot of work?
>
> G> Thank you.
>

> --
> Mike Tkachuk

Sincerely,