[Freeswitch-users] Voip fail over device solutions, please help

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Fri May 21 06:48:07 PDT 2010

Looks like other folks have answered about PRI.

You can in fact fail over large numbers of analog lines.  Look for a power fail relay type device.
I know that Dees Telecom makes some of these.  They have 50 pin Centronics connectors on them, and
can switch large numbers of circuits (all at the same time).  Usually, these are triggered by loss
of electrical power, so you may have to come up with a creative way to activate this device.  If you
can generate some sort of heartbeat signal on a serial or parallel port, that could be used.
Alternately, there are some serial and Ethernet to contact closure interfaces (Adantech's ADAM line
of industrial automation products) that could control the relays.  You would have to write a script
to generate the MODBUS commands that these use, but the protocol is well documented.  If you used
the Ethernet version, either box could issue a command to "switch to me".  That is a little bit more
expensive than making your own heartbeat detector, but it doesn't require any soldering.  You can
also use these boxes to give you status on things, and remotely reboot equipment.

-Tim