[Freeswitch-users] Open source softphone that can handle g729

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Mar 21 16:43:43 PDT 2010

On 03/22/2010 02:35 AM, Raffaele P. Guidi wrote:
> Uhm, I've seen this package
> (/sip/communicator/impl/media/codec/audio/g729*) dated back
> in 2009-06-27* **
>
> **http://dev.sip-communicator.org/stats/dir_src_net_java_sip_communicator_impl_media_codec_audio_g729.html
> **
> **
> **
> **with some 10 thousand lines of code and thought it was there but I'm
> never tried that. I also second Brian thoughts about sip comm guys
> trying to do too much. But the thing kinda works and even they have
> not reached any stable build the phone is usable. Also it is in java -
> and this helps in enterprises where C is a bit forgotten. Another good
> one in this sense was Sipek 2 (in C#) based on pjsip (I've done real
> business with that, a sip enabled browser for a small call center) but
> too bad development is idle since last year.**
That does look like the complete ITU reference codec translated into
Java. Maybe the SoC project is to move it forwrad, rather than start it.
The SoC description certainly looks like its to start it. I believe its
really hard to lock down and licence modules of Java code. I wonder if
the even have a plan for how this could be legally used.

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org
> <mailto:steveu at coppice.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/20/2010 09:24 PM, Raffaele P. Guidi wrote:
>     > I believe sip communicator does handle g729. It has a strong
>     community
>     > and a plugin model (based on osgi) that makes it easily (ok,
>     kinda...)
>     > customizable. Of course the FSComm/givesomemoneytotheproject
>     option is
>     > the best one. In any case:
>     > http://sip-communicator.org/
>     >
>     > Ciao,
>     >     R
>     It seems one of their summer of code projects is to implement a G.729
>     codec, so it doesn't seem like they have one.
>     >
>     > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Fraser Redmond
>     > <fraserredmond at gmail.com <mailto:fraserredmond at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:fraserredmond at gmail.com <mailto:fraserredmond at gmail.com>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     We're looking for an open source softphones that can handle g729
>     >     that we can extend with extra functionality (connecting to other
>     >     applications, and things on the intranet.)
>     >
>     >     Does anyone have any they'd suggest?
>     >
>     >     Brian West suggested FSComm with the qualifier "it still needs
>     >     more work" - has anyone used it much (especially in windows), or
>     >     know what it's development status is? (Looking in the source
>     >     browser jmesquita spent a lot of time on it in January, but not
>     >     much since.)
>     >

Steve