[Freeswitch-users] FS Best practices

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Fri Mar 19 08:12:27 PDT 2010

I think there are advantages, at least from a functionality standpoint.

If you have a cluster setup, the core DB can be shared across FS machines.  This gives each machine
access to things like presence, voice mail counts and settings, and the mod_limit counts can be
global, as opposed to per-machine numbers.  This is handy if you want to enforce a channel count for
 a customer.  You can also share SIP registrations across the cluster.  I haven't tried this too
much yet, but it should be possible for a phone to register to machine A.  If machine B needs to
send a call to the phone, it has the contact data and can send the call to the phone directly (as
long as there are no NAT issues here).  I don't know how often each machine polls the DB for
presence information.  There might be a lag for things like BLF lamps across the cluster, although I
think there is another way to solve that.

You can also access the data in the DB with your PHP scripts for status monitoring and other useful
things.  I have heard that altering this data is a bad idea, but running queries on it can be handy.
   You can make a nice web dashboard that will give you all registered endpoints, current SIP
dialogs, channel counts (via mod_limit), voice mail counts, etc.  By accessing the voice mail
tables, you can also make an XML "visual voicemail" interface for phones like the Aastra 55i and 57i.

Hope that's helpful.

-Tim