[Freeswitch-users] Fscomm unable to detect devices

William Suffill william.suffill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:27:10 PDT 2010

PortAudio is a free, cross platform,
open-source<http://www.portaudio.com/license.html>,
audio I/O library.  It lets you write simple audio programs in 'C' that will
compile and run on many platforms
<http://www.portaudio.com/status.html>including
*Windows, Macintosh (8,9,X), Unix (OSS), SGI, and BeOS*. PortAudio is
intended to promote the exchange of audio synthesis software between
developers on different platforms.

PortAudio provides a very simple API for recording and/or playing sound
using a simple callback function.  Example programs are included that
synthesize sine waves and pink noise, perform fuzz distortion on a guitar,
list available audio devices, etc.
http://www.portaudio.com/

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_portaudio

Technically it is possible to get portaudio based applications to work with
pulseaudio but it seems to be an area of some difficulties now that
pulseaudio is used by default by newer distros.

I've had this same issue on my system w/ pulseaudio since it wants to
control all the sound devices itself. Killing pulseaudio should release the
devices and partaudio should detect them in that case. Not a long term fix I
know but still yet to spend enough time to discover the best alternative.

https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2009-January/003037.html
seems to indicate that it has been  an area of confusion for some time.

-- W