[Freeswitch-users] Attrafax

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Mar 8 16:34:36 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 05:54 AM, Klaus Hochlehnert wrote:
> Hi
>
> you could also use newest trunk of t38modem + trunk of OPAL.
> The newest trunk version(s) use SpanDSP as fax engine and it works more reliable than the previous t38 engine (I think it was integrated in OPAL).
> It also supports fallback to t30 audio fax if you're connected to ISDN network.
>
> Together with HylaFAX+ the success rate is ok (unfortunately not perfect).
>
> Klaus

The success rate with the latest opal + spandsp code should be about as
about good as your system is capable of giving. That is, most failures
will either be:

     - that the call is just a bad call - wrong number, messed up FAX
machine usage, etc.
     - your systems is dropping packets or otherwise screwing up the timing.
     - T.38 negotiation is screwing up, because T.38 compatibility is
still a mess.

The last one is such a problem for the whole industry, the SIP Forum has
a working group to address it.

Steve