[Freeswitch-users] Attrafax

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Mon Mar 8 14:39:29 PST 2010

While I'd love to see FAXing just die, especially with the amount of
headache associated with it, the reality is that specific organizations
still rely on it heavily on a daily basis (ie Health Care and
Banking/Finance Industry). Plus they can legally get away with FAXing
personal data directly between machines, since the FAX transmission doesn't
seem to be directly covered by all their respective privacy regultions (ie
HIPAA, PCI, etc.), unless of course it's a FAX-to-email service. Plus most
of these organizations just don't have the internal expertise to setup
end-to-end encrypted email nor the impetus to deal with it, since FAXing
works fine in their eyes. I think it's going to be around quite a while
longer unless they actually stop making the FAX machines and force people to
use something else.

Cheers,
Gabe