[Freeswitch-users] Virtualized FreeSWITCH

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Tue Mar 2 21:27:29 PST 2010

On 3 March 2010 16:04, Rob Forman <rob4manhere at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone running FreeSWITCH virtualized (xen or vmware) in
> production?  I saw ec2 and xen mentioned a few places.  If so, are
> there tips or tricks for handle timer issues which affect virtual
> machines in general, such as recommended divider or clocksource
> settings?  I'm seeing funny timing issues while testing with audio
> recording and playback that speed up or slow down.

I tried tdm400+xen DOM0+asterisk years ago, on a single processor
machine but gave up. zttest returned good results, but analogue
quality has intermittently very poor quality and it made telephone
conversations difficult to understand. Especially a problem when
hourly cron jobs would start on all VMs at exactly the same time, but
was a problem at other times too. Plus the fact people who used the
phone more often then me didn't report the problem, so I thought it
was fine.

Plus the general fact I didn't really like the idea of running
Asterisk on DOM0, and running it on DOMU seemed to imply even more
overheard, as DOM0 would have to process the interrupts and pass them
to the DOMU.

Unfortunately I don't remember what scheduler I used, maybe sedf?

I suspect a multi-processor system would be a lot better suited for
the task. Also might be OK if you don't use zaptel hardware... I seem
to remember these cards generate a huge number of interrupts.

While this was with Asterisk, I suspect my results were not specific
to Asterisk in anyway.
--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>