[Freeswitch-users] What FS is doing when idle?

Yossi Neiman freeswitch at cartissolutions.com
Tue Mar 2 13:27:50 PST 2010

On 03/02/2010 02:44 PM, Michael Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Sergey Okhapkin
> <sos at sokhapkin.dyndns.org <mailto:sos at sokhapkin.dyndns.org>> wrote:
>
>     A program should not be visible in "top" when idle. That's my point.
>

> That's a dangerous assumption. Do really know for a certainty that a
> program "should not" be visible in top when it's "idle"? Like Tony
> said below, "idle" is misleading. FreeSWITCH is working its but off
> when you think it's "idle." Make 100 simultaneous calls and see what
> the CPU usage is. I think you'll be happy with the results.

<snip snip>

Cue up applicable car analogy....

I ask Sergey this question:  When you turn on your car and let it while
in either a parking gear or in neutral, your car is considered
"idling".  But does the car still not use oxygen and gasoline, and
produce heat and waste products all the while idling?  That is how you
can think of a complex system such as FreeSWITCH.  It is a machine with
a lot of parts, and idling means that it is in a "ready" state, but does
not mean that it is "turned off".

-Yossi