[Freeswitch-users] Understanding mod_shout "licensing"

Tony Graziano tgraziano at myitdepartment.net
Wed Jun 23 06:19:42 PDT 2010

As such, is there a peer review board in FS of any sort to keep
potential plugins out of the project unless they properly comply with
copyright and patent laws? If not, why?

The G729 plugin has a license function. Why wouldn't something like
MP3? What is the benefit to FS of accepting a plugin from anyone that
is operating without proper licensing from a copyright or patent
holder?

It seems like a slippery slope to me. I feel these are legitimate
questions, and was wondering if there was a centralized license
function so licenses for things like G729 and MP3 (or anything else)
could be administered and offer to allow a firm to operate a
legitimate server.

Thanks,

Tony

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Michael Jerris <mike at jerris.com> wrote:
> The best site I have seen in regards to mp3 licensing requirements is:
> http://mp3licensing.com
> They seem to indicate that commercial use requires a license:
> http://mp3licensing.com/help/index.html#4
> http://mp3licensing.com/help/index.html#5
> I am not a lawyer, I have no knowledge if this site represents all possible
> patent claims related to mp3.  As always, I would advise people using
> technologies they suspect are patent protected to  seek legal advice to
> understand their own obligations based on their use and legal jurisdiction.
> Mike
> On Jun 21, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Tony Graziano wrote:
>
> Since mod_shout encodes/decodes and audio file in the MP3 format, can
> someone explain to me how this complies with licensing since MP3
> encode/decode software is not "free".
>
> Is the patent holder giving a free license to use the technology since
> it is a open source package? Is another technology being used that
> does not require licensing?

======================
Tony Graziano, Manager
Telephone: 434.984.8430
sip: tgraziano at voice.myitdepartment.net
Fax: 434.984.8431

Email: tgraziano at myitdepartment.net

Telephone: 434.984.8426
sip: helpdesk at voice.myitdepartment.net
Fax: 434.984.8427

Helpdesk Contract Customers:
http://www.myitdepartment.net/gethelp/

Why do mathematicians always confuse Halloween and Christmas?
Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.