[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch in an existing phone network

Oliver Schenk oliver.schenk at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 8 06:04:14 PDT 2010

Hi All,

The company I work for currently has quite an extensive phone network
which gets carried between old analogue PABXes which also has an
interface to IP based phones. All the phones in our office are connected
via CAT5 cable using IP, however literally hundreds of phones out in the
field (we operate railway infrastructure) are on standard voice analogue
phones carried through fibreoptics.

Anyway, I would like to use Freeswitch purely for its IVR and TTS
abilities and nothing else. So basically I just need it to act like a
slave to whatever IP phone network is already out there. I'm a bit
worried if I fire up freeswitch it will hijack the phone network!

All our phones are accessible via a 5 digit extension. I would like
Freeswitch to be behind one of those ... say 12345. If anyone within our
phone network dials 12345 then Freeswitch should answer. I guess my
question is...how should I go about disabling most of FreeSwitch except
it's ability to pick up the phone and speak IVR/TTS and make an outgoing
call via the existing phone network?

Any general pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Oliver Schenk