[Freeswitch-users] Spikes in Load on Ubuntu

Matthew Fong mattdfong at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 12:03:12 PDT 2010

I'm running 1.0.6 and I noticed that right after upgrading from 15135 that
the load (15 min avg) on my system seems to have increased about double
running the same amount of traffic. I've been running top all day for the
past few days and I noticed that for the most part I always have 75% idle
cpu, but maybe once ever 45 minutes or an hour there is an spike the 1
minute load averages (maybe up to 9). This is only a dual core processor so
I believe 9 usually indicates that are some processes that are waiting. The
idle % does not change, and I have free memory, but for whatever reason the
linux load algorithm spikes (maybe very high for like 1-5 seconds).

At first I thought this might be related to a tickless timer, so I disable
it from the kernel, but today I am still getting the same spikes. So my
question is, are these spikes something to worry about, or should I just
monitor the % of idle cpu available on my box for guesstimating how much
further I can push this system? Thanks.

--matt