[Freeswitch-users] Ubuntu Server 10.04 64-bit Installation Woes

Randall Degges rdegges at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 00:57:19 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm a new freeswitch user, and I'm basically trying to use it as a SIP proxy
/ media proxy (RTP) for handling some SIP phones.

Basically, I'm trying to install freeswitch (latest) on a ubuntu-server
10.04 64-bit box, and get everything running smoothly. The requirements I'd
like to meet are:

- Freeswitch can be controlled via normal ubuntu init scripts (eg: service
freeswitch start|stop|restart).
- Freeswitch starts on system boot.
- Freeswitch binaries are accessible in the default user PATH variable (so
that I can simply type 'fs_cli' from the command line).
- Freeswitch logs to the appropriate locations in /var/log/ (or wherever the
suggested location is).

I've found the install guide (
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Installation_Guide) really confusing so far.

Unless I'm crazy, the top of the install guide says to always install from
the git repo (latest), which I also take to mean that one should not install
from any OS packages, etc.

So what I've tried is:

1. Cloned the git repo.
2. Installed all OS dependency packages.
3. Built from the git repo using the following commands:

./bootstrap.sh
./configure --enable-core-odbc-support
sudo make all install sounds-install moh-install

Up to this point, everything works great. Everything compiles, all files are
located in /usr/local/freeswitch/ which seems good, and things look great.

Here are the problems I'm having at this point, which I'm not sure how to
resolve:

1. The freeswitch binaries are not in the default user PATH. Basically, if I
type 'fs_cli' or 'freeswitch' form the command line, I get a command not
found error. This is because the default PATH on ubuntu (obviously) doesn't
contain /usr/local/freeswitch/bin. Shouldn't the installer add that? Or am I
missing something? What is the best way to get this working? I could just
modify my user's .bashrc file to append /usr/local/freeswitch/bin to the
PATH variable, but that seems like a hack.

2. There are no system init scripts for freeswitch. I can't start, stop, or
restart the freeswitch daemon. This makes managing it a real pain. What's
the best way to get this working?

I have a lot of prior experience with Asterisk, but very little with
freeswitch. So I'm relatively competent working with these sorts of systems
once I get the basics :)

Thanks so much for any help / advice, I'm really looking forward to seeing
what the ideal way to get this running is.

-Randall